Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Thanks and Praise

Recently, I have found myself both on the receiving end and giving end of reference letters. It is one thing to ask for people to give honest feedback (that takes humility and a willingness to learn and hear what someone else is saying) and it is another thing to be in a position to give feedback to others.

As I write recommendations for people, I am struck by how infrequently I actually take the time to tell the people in my life what I really think and offer them thanks and praise.

It is a discipline to compliment others and say, "Thank you" or offer praise for a job well done.

But it forces each of us to think about the things we appreciate and the people we appreciate.

During Lent we talk about what we will give up. Think of ways in which this Lenten season you will take time to build others around you up and encourage them. Don't wait for them to ask for a recommendation letter. Tell someone in your life what they mean to you.

"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing." 
(I Thessalonians 5:11)

No comments: